Wednesday, October 5, 2016

Music Executive Aims to 'Silences the Shame' on Mental Health

Music executive Shanti Das has spent the last 25 years championing the careers of Outkast, TLC, Toni Braxton, Young Jeezy, Usher, Stevie Wonder and Prince. The renowned marketing master has held prominent positions at Columbia Records, LaFace Records and Universal Motown.

Das is now using her platform for greater good by launching the Silence the Shame campaign to fight the stigmatization of mental health issues by encouraging people to seek treatment and support.

Tackling the drastic effects of mental health disorders hits very close to home for the 45-year-old industry veteran and author. Das herself has suffered from depression since experiencing a personal tragedy at a very young age. 

"My dad committed suicide when I was seven months old and my mom had to raise three kids all by herself," Das told NBCBLK. "It was really tough on us. It's interesting because he was from India, but mom is African American, so I grew up in black culture. Traditionally, we don't talk about mental health issues or seeking counseling in the black community, it's very taboo. I saw my mom as this very sad individual, so my siblings and I had to figure out ways to cope our own. I've suffered from depression, as it relates to my dad's death and at first I couldn't figure where it was coming from." 

Click here for the full article. 

No comments: