Monday, October 5, 2015

The Struggle Beyond Breast Cancer: Surviving in a New Body

 Caitlin's second chemotherapy treatment
at Memorial Sloan Kettering Hospital.


By Caitlin Kiernan

The minute I was diagnosed with breast cancer in July 2012, my focus in life became a singular mission: survive. For two years, I lived day to day facing each new phase of treatment and fighting through it. There was no question that battling and beating breast cancer would be an epic feat. But after five surgeries, chemotherapy and reconstruction, the struggle to survive with a new body proves to be an even bigger challenge.

By the time I was declared cancer-free in October 2014, I was a totally different person. Returning to "normal" life wasn't seamless. I didn't look the same and I didn't feel the same. There were moments I felt so disconnected from myself, it was as though I was starring in a remake of "Revenge of the Body Snatchers." 

Most of the changes were physical. In order to lower the chances of a recurrence, I opted to have a double mastectomy. I believe in making the most of any situation, so I sized up from an A to a C cup. (Thank you, Cancer!)

It took five surgeries: two to remove the cancer and three for the various phases of reconstruction. My doctors did an amazing job recreating the look of real breasts. But with no breast tissue, implants and tattooed nipples, they've taken a minute to absorb and adjust to.

Click here for the full article.

Source: NBC News/TODAY

No comments: