Monday, April 23, 2012

Vincent Cook: "I'll Show You...How Great I Am!"


Gifted Comedian/Actor Discusses His Muhammad Ali Tribute Show, His Stint as a Boxer, and the "Dark Side" of Comedy

Vincent Cook has been in good professional company for quite some time. Having worked with Oscar-nominated Will Smith and Academy Award-winner Jamie Foxx in the movie "Ali", and Academy Award-winning actress Halle Berry in Robert Townsend's "B.A.P.S.", Cook is rapidly working his way toward Hollywood stardom and his own starring vehicle. 

An experienced stand-up comedian and all-around entertainer, Cook feels right at home on a comedy club or theater stage, as well as a movie or television sound stage. Cook's accomplishments and remarkable impersonation of Ali and others can be viewed here: Vincent Cook

From The G-Man recently conducted an interview with the Washington, D.C. native to discuss his critically acclaimed, one-man show, "Ali: The Man. The Myth. The People's Champion", and how Muhammad Ali and boxing helped shape his future as an entertainer. 


G-Man: Your admiration, love and respect for boxing icon Muhammad Ali is well-documented. However, if you had to pick three words that best describe him, what would they be?

Cook: I can only describe Muhammad Ali in one way. He is a great human being. 

G-Man: What was the hardest aspect of putting together "Ali: The Man. The Myth. The People's Champion"?

Cook: The hardest part was getting the show launched and connecting with the right people to help me get it on stage. 

G-Man: In doing research for the show, was there anything you discovered -- something millions of fans may not be aware of -- that heightened your level of love and respect for Ali?

Cook: Yes. I discovered that he was -- and still is -- a loyal person. I also learned that he was taught to box by a Black fighter from Louisville, Kentucky, named Fred Stoner. The public never hears about him because the mob allegedly ran him out of Kentucky. That's all I care to say about that. 

G-Man: You've performed the show at colleges and universities, but I have no doubt that you would love to perform the show on Broadway, at some point. Have you talked to any of the power-players in Hollywood or New York about providing some form of assistance to have the show appear on the "Great White Way"? 

Cook pictured with the subject of his one-man show, the incomparable Muhammad Ali, and a woman described as "Kim". 

Cook: I would love to have it appear on Broadway. I've talked to a few investors, but nothing has happened. Magic Johnson, if you read this, let's get it done, son!  You've helped keep the Dodgers in L.A., now let's get Ali to Broadway. Contact me! 

G-Man: Once the lights dim and the day's performance is over, is there a particular period of Ali's life that you want audiences to remember for years to come?

Cook: I can't say that there's one specific period that I want audiences to remember. However, what I'd like them to remember most is something that Ali stresses to this day, and that is to love, respect and be of service to each other.
  
G-Man: Prior to becoming an actor and comedian, you spent a number of years as a boxer. What was it, specifically, about the sport that led you on a quest to become a professional fighter during your youth?

Cook: I didn't like being bullied, so I had to learn to fight and became very good at it. I beat up bullies after learning how to fight, but then I decided that I wanted to be seen around the world for my fighting.

G-Man: What was your record?

Cook: I was undefeated in 250 amateur fights. In the six fights I ever lost, I was robbed. That's why I still consider myself undefeated. I was still undefeated when they boycotted the Olympics in 1980. After that, I was done. 

G-Man: What was the best and worst part of life as a boxer?

Cook: I know this may sound like an obvious answer, but the best part was winning and the worst was losing. 

G-Man: In conversations held with die-hard boxing fans, many stated that the sport has been tainted by "rigged" fights, greedy and unscrupulous promoters, and "mega bouts" that never live up to the hype or public's expectations. What do you think of the current state of boxing in America?

Cook:  A lot youngster are not fighting with their hands anymore. Punks are using guns, so they end up being  arrested and get sent away to be slaves in prisons, as opposed to learning a sport that allows them to make a living or obtain wealth. Programs have to be introduced to get the sport's pool of fighters back on track. It's happening to some degree, but it's happening too slowly. Many fighters, as well as potential fighters, don't know they can make a living or obtain riches from boxing, so somebody's got to show or tell them. 

G-Man: In one or two words, describe the following champions: Jack Johnson, Joe Louis, Muhammad Ali, the late Joe Frazier, George Foreman, Mike Tyson, Sugar Ray Leonard, Roberto Duran, Tommy Hearns, and Marvin Hagler. 

Cook: In my view, that's the only word you can use to describe them: champions. They'll always be champions. 

G-Man: Currently, who would you say is the best fighter in the sport?

Cook: Floyd Mayweather is the best fighter in the sport. 

G-Man: Okay, given my last question, you know where I'm going, right? It's the fight everybody's demanding. Who wins in the Pacquiao/Mayweather contest and why? Yes, The G-Man is going there! 

Cook: (Smiling) Floyd Mayweather wins. He is too big and too fast for Pac Man. 

G-Man: Stand-up comedy is very similar to boxing, in that you're literally fighting to survive from one performance to the next. Do you agree?

Cook: Yes, I definitely agree. You're fighting for your life when you're on that stage because everybody wants to be you or better than you, especially if you're a really good comedian. 

G-Man: What comedian had the greatest impact on your life? Why?

Cook: Without question, Richard Pryor. Why? His sheer intelligence.
  
G-Man: Describe your first time on stage....and your most embarrassing moment on stage.

Cook: My first time on stage, I won $108 in a talent show. As far as my most embarrassing moment, I got tomatoes and lettuce thrown at me. Oh, what a night! 

G-Man: Comedians like Bill Cosby and Jerry Seinfeld have enjoyed monumental success by avoiding what some call "controversial comedy", while others like the late, great Lenny Bruce, George Carlin, and Bill Hicks pushed the comedy envelope and upset the establishment. Do you think there is a line in comedy that should never be crossed just to get a laugh?

Cook: Absolutely. For example, there is nothing funny about rape. I don't care if it's a woman or child, it's just not funny. 

G-Man: The "dark side" of comedy is something more and more comedians are beginning to talk about, especially since a number of comedians -- such as Freddie Prinze, Ray Combs and Richard Jeni -- have committed suicide. Have you ever experienced it? If so, can you describe it?

Cook: Consider this: Somebody kills a fan of mine and sells me the victim's car. Now, some might consider that dark comedy. However, many comedians venture into the dark periods of their lives and find a way to create humor. Not everyone can do that. Actually, a lot of my fans were killed because of their involvement in the drug game or other bad choices. 

G-Man: Finally, which would you choose if the universe blessed you with the following: an opportunity to be the world's greatest comedian for one year....or an opportunity to have a one-year run on Broadway doing Ali: The Man. The Myth. The People's Champion? 

Cook: I would definitely choose to do my Ali tribute show on Broadway.

Photos courtesy of Vincent Cook. 


1 comment:

diorentein said...

i like this site, ,it's really giving news and information. .