Thursday, September 8, 2011

Leaders of Tomorrow: Ahkeem Coar

Medgar Evers College Student and Talented Poet Aims to Become Fragrance Mogul

"Let me begin by saying I am not an average New York teenager," said Ahkeem Coar, a native of Hinesville, Georgia. Coar, whom was born on April 4th, in Winn-Army Hospital, noted that Hinesville is a military town on the outskirts of Savannah.

"Southern morals and values were instilled in me long before moving to New York. When I came to the big city, I had no idea so many opportunities would be offered to me. Some opportunities I stumbled upon, coincidentally, like being profiled on From The G-Man," said Coar.

While living in Far Rockaway, Queens, the community-minded Coar got involved with the Rockaway Development & Revitalization Corporation, also known as RDRC. While there, he was part of an after-school program called the "Transition to Adulthood" (TTA). The program gave Coar a chance to meet very prominent people in and from the area.

"Participating in the program gave me a chance to give back to the Far Rockaway community. The community service I took part in ranged from helping the elderly to cleaning up the beach. I participated for two years until I graduated from Frederick Douglass Academy VI High School," Coar stated.


During his final year of high school, the teen with the infectious smile kept himself occupied working two jobs: The Sands, a catering company in Atlantic Beach, and Visions in Manhattan. Coar revealed that having two jobs instilled a sense of pride in him that he hadn’t experienced before. Once the summer came, he began to question whether he would be employed. It was at this point that fate intervened and presented itself in the form of a phone call.

"I got a call from an employment counselor I met earlier during the school year. She told me about an amazing summer internship that was being offered by a renowned fragrance company in Manhattan called Givaudan. Excited and enthusiastic, I jumped at the opportunity," Coar said.

"I saw it as an opportunity that would lead me one step closer to my dream of having my own cologne and perfume line. The goal certainly seemed obtainable, at that point. While working there, I learned that there is a lot that goes into making and marketing a fragrance. My experience at Givaudan was unforgettable, to say the least."


Ulitmately, because the internship ended, and the fact that he was about to enter his first year at Medgar Evers College, Coar stopped working at Givaudan.

"I was entering my freshmen year of college, and I was placing and lot of emphasis on that. However, the people I’ve met and things I’ve learned remained with me. They probably won’t fade from memory for quite some time," said the Georgia native.

"Reflecting on my life, I realized I have been blessed with opportunities that others merely dream of. Although I am no longer working at Givaudan, I am confident and positive that I'll have another chance to work with the company and its phenomenal staff."

Ahkeem Coar, without question, one of America's.....leaders of tomorrow.

Photos of Ahkeem Coar courtesy of the Coar family.
Givaudan logo courtesy of:
http://www.givaudan.com/appl/inet/gwstatic.nsf/page/ho-hom?opendocument
Author: Givaudan
Permission: Public Domain

No comments: